· revised:
The article “Online, R U Really Reading?” by Motoko Rich, Rich explains that in today’s world more kids are reading off the internet then from a book. He begins his article saying some believe the internet is to blame for the decline of student scores on reading tests. With the transformation of the new media, Rich mentions that “the internet has created a new way of reading, a way that can not be tested.” Rich mentions that “According to federal statistics, students who say they read for fun once a day score significantly higher on reading tests than those who say they never do.” The point is kids don’t read for fun, they believe it is a waste of their time. “According to Department of Education data cited in the report, just over a fifth of 17-year-olds said they read almost every day for fun in 2004,” but, this does not include online reading. The internet “can be more enriching than reading one book.” A book can take days to read but with the internet you can “cover a lot more of the topic from different points of view.”
·
· To answer the question “Online, R U Really Reading?” I would have to say yes, you are reading. The internet and a book are two different types of reading. A book would go through a lot of details and the internet goes straight to the point but, you are still reading. To be honest, if it wasn’t for the internet I would not be engaged with reading. I hate to read book I believe it is a waste of time but, with the internet it doesn’t fell like I am reading. The information is just given, I don’t have to go through details I don’t care about, and I just get the information I need.
I believe that the internet is a good form of reading. Technology these days is the easiest most convenient way to read. With the way technology is going, you would be able to read an entire newspaper on your cell phone. Recently, the Kindle has come out, which is a type of technology that allows you to read any book on a small screen, which you can bring on the go. It is true that the reading on the internet might be easier or not written correctly, but that is the way our generation is. The way we learned and with technology it is making our lives more convenient.
---------------------------------------
old:
The article “Online, R U Really Reading?” by Motoko Rich, Rich explains that in today’s world more kids are reading off the internet then from a book. He begins his article saying some believe the internet is to blame for the decline of student scores on reading tests. With the transformation of the new media, Rich mentions that “the internet has created a new way of reading, a way that can not be tested.” Rich mentions that “According to federal statistics, students who say they read for fun once a day score significantly higher on reading tests than those who say they never do.” The point is kids don’t read for fun, they believe it is a waste of their time. “According to Department of Education data cited in the report, just over a fifth of 17-year-olds said they read almost every day for fun in 2004,” but, this does not include online reading. The internet “can be more enriching than reading one book.” A book can take days to read but with the internet you can “cover a lot more of the topic from different points of view.”
·
· To answer the question “Online, R U Really Reading?” I would have to say yes, you are reading. The internet and a book are two different types of reading. A book would go through a lot of details and the internet goes straight to the point but, you are still reading. To be honest, if it wasn’t for the internet I would not be engaged with reading. I hate to read book I believe it is a waste of time but, with the internet it doesn’t fell like I am reading. The information is just given, I don’t have to go through details I don’t care about, and I just get the information I need.

No comments:
Post a Comment